We received Kevin's reply today! We were so excited to hear from him! I am going to include a little summary of how all of this came about!
I am a 33 year old christian who has been married for over 6 years. My husband and I have no children. When i first met my husband in 1999, we talked about one day when we had a family that we would adopt a child internationally, despite having natural children of our own.
I went on a medical mission trip to India in 1999 a few months before i met my husband. On this trip, i went to a real orphanage for the first time. I remember thinking on that trip that i am going to adopt one day. On that particular visit a little boy we saw in the clinic earlier in the day for a cold was running a high fever. He was curled up in the corner of a bunk bed all alone. I crawled in that bunk bed and picked him up, held him and kissed him. I cried and cried. This precious child needed a mommy to hold and kiss him through his illness. This simple act that so many take for granted everyday, would never been known to this little child.
That was the milestone in my life where God confirmed adoption was His will for my life. During this trip, the Indian pastor that we worked with and stayed had a daughter who was a social worker. One year later, I helped her get a visa to the USA and she became an counselor with Bethany Christian Services. Another confirmation on God's direction towards adoption. (Love how God does hook ups and sets things into motion).
After my husband and I were married in 2001, We were driving back to Alabama from Massachusetts to start our new married life! In the car ride, I was listening to Focus on the family. They did a segment on Adoption with Steven Curtis Chapman, who had used Bethany Christian Services. He talked about adopting his daughter from China and all the fears that they had. I cried and cried on that car ride because i knew that God had once again confirmed in my heart that i have a child one day waiting for me in another country. As time passed we settled into our careers (i am a nurse anesthetist and my husband is an accountant) and married life, but
little did we realize that we would be faced with infertility.
The sadness of infertility hit us, the whys, this makes no sense, the
bitterness, angry all came, but the Lord reminded me that just as bad
as i want a child, some child in the world goes to sleep every night
wanting a mom and dad. That's when i knew infertility treatments was
not an option for us. How can i pay all this money and waste time on
something that may not work, when there are millions of beautiful
children waiting for a home. We decided to adopt!!!
Well, during this process i joined forces with kenyarelief.org an organization that
started an orphanage in Kenya. We have expanded into opening a medical
clinic for orphanages and the community offering state of the art medical care and medicine year round. I joined the adopt a child program and my child is Kevin Chacha. I love this program! When I travel to Kenya, I get to stay on the same site as the orphanage so i have developed a relationship with him personally! During my work with kenyarelief, God called me to go back to school to become a doctor so that i can do more for orphans. Currently, I am in my second year of medical school. Due to my medical training, it will be at least another 2-3 years before i can actually proceed with an adoption. During our research on adoption we realized a common theme that broke our hearts, adoption financial hurdles that stopped or prolonged many adoptions. I told Ray how can we bring home one or two children and leave millions behind? We have to do something NOW not later to offer Hope for those left behind. That's when we created Our Creator's Hope.
This is a christian non-for profit organization that will offer grants
to families needing financial assistance for domestic and international adoptions. I hope this organization will also be used to help churches worldwide develop resources and education tools to start Orphan/adoption ministries for preadoption,during, and post adoption families (just like we have woman, men, youth ministries in most churches). Our Creator's Hope would also educate and encourage Churches to develop grants/loans to their membership seeking adoption.
Our Creator's Hope will be filing our IRS paperwork in December and should be up and
running for January 2008. We would love to assist or join forces with any organization in the fight to educate others the needs of the fatherless
No comments:
Post a Comment