
I have always gravitated towards kiddos in my practice as a RN and CRNA. When I worked PACU as a RN, I always recovered them and was in charge of the PALS education for the department, not to mention I worked in the NICU during that time too!!! When I was in anesthesia school, I remember one of my attending's saying, "your a natural" at this you should work with kids. During my anesthesia training, I did a research paper was on neonatal pain and I was so fascinated by the complexity of it! So many times in my career, I have seen little ones under medicated due to FEAR or LACK OF EXPERIENCE by providers, and it really has drawn an interest to practice pain management in pediatric population. As I began to practice as a CRNA, I noticed that everyone would RUN away from doing pediatric cases, and I would be the one ending up volunteering to do them!
So I have had the joys of struggling to find what it was that i wanted in a career in medicine. I loved anesthesia, but was needing a change. My heart was being pulled to pediatrics but knew that primary care was not me. I wrestled with pediatric sub-specialties as alternatives, but a little part of the anesthesia/critical care/ operating room personality was saying don't leave me!!! I was interested in Critical care, cardiology, pain management, and anesthesia for pediatrics and couldn't make a decision, but realized pediatric anesthesia held the training for knowledge and opportunity to practice those skills for all those areas!!!! It's funny as I have had many people tell me over the last year I should do pediatric anesthesia and now i have realized they are right!!!
PEDIATRIC ANESTHESIA and PEDIATRIC PAIN SPECIALIST!!!
A pediatric anesthesiologist, in addition to finishing general training in anesthesiology, successfully completes an additional specialized year of fellowship training in pediatric anesthesiology at an accredited institution.
Pediatric Pain Fellows will receive training in state of the art pharmacological as well as integrative, non-pharmacologic therapies for pain and symptom management. Training will encompass the areas of acute pain management, chronic/complex pain management, palliative and hospice medicine. Emphasis will be on training in strategies for effective collaboration within a multidisciplinary team, and utilizing a family centered care approach. Fellows will care for pediatric patients in inpatient, home-based and outpatient clinic settings. Fellows will gain experience in caring for children with a wide variety of disease conditions, socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds. Clinical care opportunities and education will be provided to fellows as they work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team structure.
2 comments:
How great! One of our Pain guys here recently opened a pediatric pain practice...like this year here at Children's.
great, tell him I will need a job in about 6 years!!!
Post a Comment